Thursday, November 5, 2009

TWD Split-Level Pudding



Believe it or not, this is the first time I've made pudding from scratch. It always seemed too time consuming when the box brands were "good enough". Well, my thoughts have changed after trying this recipe. This was very easy to make and the taste was superb. Far better than those instant puddings. Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy those little boxes, but for special occasions, this is the pudding I'll choose to serve.

The only thing I will do different in the future when making this recipe, is omit the use of the food processor. Even though the recipe calls for it, I didn't find it at all necessary. In fact, I found it made pouring the mixture back and forth between it and the pan on the stove top awkward and unnecessary. I also feel it added too much froth to the vanilla layer, making it take longer to thicken.

As you can see, I served my Split-Layer Pudding in wine glasses to better show off its pretty layers. The only adjustment I needed to make in doing this was to cool off both the layers of pudding before adding them to the glasses. I didn't want to take any chances of having the wine glasses crack by adding too hot a substance.

The results were quite pretty and very tasty. I sprinkled the top with ground cinnamon and served them for dessert that night. Everyone was happy and we all scraped our glasses clean.



This recipe can be found on pages 384-385 of "Baking From My Home To Yours" by Dorie Greenspan. I highly recommend this book. I have enjoyed each tasty treat I've made so far and am sure I will continue to do so with future recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment