Thursday, November 5, 2009

TWD Flakey Apple Turnovers

I was very excited to try this recipe as it brings back fond memories from my childhood with my mom serving apple turnovers as a special treat after dinner. Because I haven't made many pastry doughs in my lifetime, I was a bit nervous as well. However, I was ready to give it my best shot.

I had been tempted to use my food processor to mix up the dough but decided I'd follow the recipe as written. Using my pastry blender at first, I mixed in the 3 sticks of cut up butter and then the sour cream and sugar mixture.

At this point I was worried. The recipe said the dough would be soft, but mine was more of a crumbly mess and didn't resemble a dough at all. More like some sort of streusel topping. Yikes! The only thing I thought to do at this point was to get my hands involved with the actual blending. I was hoping that the warmth from my hands would soften the butter and bring this mess of a dough together. Eureka, it worked! I wish I would have done that sooner but I didn't want to overwork the dough and lose the potential "flaky" factor I was hoping for.

The other saving grace was the wrapping of the dough in plastic wrap and the extended chilling time in the fridge. I had mixed up my dough on Friday and filled and baked my turnovers on Saturday in order to serve them to our friends coming over for dinner that evening. They brought the vanilla ice cream!


Enough talk. Here are my finished turnovers. Flaky, tangy and sweet.


Needless to say, they were a huge hit!! I will definitely be making these again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment