Sunday, November 15, 2009

"German" Onion Soup with Garlic Croutons

Okay, so who doesn't love French Onion Soup? I'm not sure I know of anyone who doesn't. French Onion Soup is actually what I set out to make one Sunday afternoon. That is, until my brain decided to play around with the classic and take a detour to Germany. What I came up with is, in a word ~ Wunderber!

In a large stock pot on medium high heat, caramelize 8-10 sweet onions that have been sliced thin, in 2 T. olive oil and 2 T. butter. Add salt and pepper to taste. The carmelazation process will take approximately 20-30 minutes. When the onions are golden brown, add 2 T. all purpose flour and stir to combine. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook and stir an additional few minutes.

Meanwhile in a small sauté pan, cube fresh bread (this night, I think I used 3 or 4 left over hot dog buns) in 1 T. butter, 1 T. olive oil and 1 t. garlic powder. Sauté until crisp and golden. Set aside. Now comes the fun part. To the onions, add 4 C. beef stock along with 3/4 C. any type beer of your choosing. Continue to cook and stir on medium heat until soup starts to thicken. Add 2 t. Dijon mustard, grated nutmeg (to taste), 1 t. packed brown sugar and 1 T. fresh thyme leaves. Now, what fantastic meal wouldn't be complete without, you guessed it...CHEESE! Add between 6-8 ounces of grated Greyére cheese to the soup and stir until combined and melted.



Well, you've been patient long enough so here is the finished dish you've been waiting for!!! I do hope you'll give this soup a try and let me know how you liked it. For me, I know I'll be making it often during the long Winter months and I hope you do to. Glücklicher Essen (happy eating)!

No comments:

Post a Comment