Thursday, November 5, 2009

TWD - Chocolate Souffle

With this being my first "Tuesday's With Dorie" post, I am excited and nervous to show how my soufflé turned out.

The day I made it I had concerns that it wouldn't turn out. Mostly because of my limited soufflé experience and because it was a rainy, humid day. I wasn't sure if a soufflé was as closely associated with meringue as I had imagined, but still I carried on.

I made sure I assembled all the ingredients beforehand and was extremely happy with myself for actually remembering to let my eggs and milk come to room temperature before starting out. I then buttered and sugared my soufflé dish and added it to the refrigerator shelf, in wait of the soon to follow chocolaty goodness.

I followed the recipe to a T (well, almost). I made myself a mock double boiler, added the chocolate and sugar and melted the mixture on top of the stove. I had to stop myself from actually melting the chocolate in the microwave, as I would have normally done. The only part I did different from what the recipe called for was I added a pinch of salt to this mixture. After all, I am who I am. When the chocolate mixture was cool, one by one I whisked in my egg yolks with hopeful anticipation.

The beating of the egg whites seemed only to take moments and at that point I had feared I'd over beaten the poor little things in my zealous eagerness. I carried on, and added in my 2T. sugar in a steady stream until those little babies were glossy and beautiful. Then and there, I knew things would be okay.

I'll be the first to say, my folding technique needs work. I tried to be as gentle as possible, all the while grinding my teeth (a very bad habit I've gotten into recently while cooking/baking). Well, enough about that!! With the soufflé in the oven, and the oven light on, I waited, watched and smelled the wonderful aroma fill the house.

Here is my finished Chocolate Soufflé ~ This recipe was so easy and the taste is out of this world! The only thing I will do different next time is use a smaller soufflé dish for a more dramatic presentation. Oh, and maybe make it on a sunny day (because I still don't know if that made a difference).

We ate the entire thing for lunch that day...seriously! In the words of Ina Garten "How bad can that be?" And to think, I was afraid we would have leftovers!

This recipe can be found on pg. 406 of "Baking From My Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan. I highly recommend it!! One recipe down, many more to go...
Fondly ~ Renée

No comments:

Post a Comment