Thursday, November 5, 2009

Rustic Potato Loaves

After looking through my "Baking With Julia" cookbook (written by Dorie Greenspan), I decided that the first recipe I'd like to make is for Rustic Potato Loaves. Let me tell you, I am SO happy I did! This is the most wonderful tasting, easy to make bread I think I have ever had or made. They are moist and tender inside with a wonderfully thick and hearty crust. The flavor is out of this world!

Sometimes, the simplest recipes are the best tasting. This one only has 6 ingredients. Boiled, unpeeled potatoes, salt, potato cooking water, active dry yeast, extra-virgin olive oil and all-purpose flour. I suppose you can peel the potatoes if you'd like, but I followed the recipe which said not to. To me, seeing the flecks of potato peel running through the dough certainly adds to this breads rustic appeal (no pun intended).

It was raining on this particular day so the dough was a bit too sticky in my estimation. An easy fix because all I needed to do was add a touch more flour than was originally called for. This was the first time I had ever used the dough hook attachment on my stand mixer. I usually like do my kneading by hand but with a total of 11 plus mixing minutes called for, I'm very glad I did.

.
With two rising times and approximately 50 minutes of baking in a 375 degree oven, here are my two wonderful and rustic looking loaves


I tried to stay away as long as I could while they were cooling but these loaves kept calling my name. As you can see, I ate several pieces... in a row! My original intent was have a small taste. Seriously, I couldn't stop myself, they are that good!!


These loaves should be stored at room temperature and once sliced, should be kept sliced side down on a cutting board. They will stay fresh for two days at room temp. or you can wrap and freeze for up to a month. I can tell you this, this bread will probably be gone tonight as I can now hear French Onion Soup calling my name!

If you're interested in reading this entire recipe, you can find it on page 138 of "Baking With Julia". I suggest you run, don't walk, to find your copy and make these just as soon as you can!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment