Friday, October 23, 2009

Braised Beef Short Ribs

This is one of my family's all time favorite comfort meals. What I love the most about it (besides the wonderful flavor) is that it's a "fix it and forget it" dinner. It can be cooked in a low slow oven, or on the counter top in a slow cooker. Either way, the results are FANTASTIC and your home will smell like heaven while it cooks!

I've made this 'recipe' many times over the past few years and every time I do, I add or subtract ingredients depending on what's available in the fridge or pantry. There are a few items that I consider critical in this dish. They are: bay leaves, horseradish, beef stock and ketsup. After those ingredients are in, the rest is just play time. This is what I used the other evening:

Costco is my favorite spot to buy beef short ribs. I always add them to my cart when I am there. I use an entire package 3-4 lbs. and cut each rib into thirds. Seriously, is this not the prettiest meat you've even seen? (I just had to take a picture to show.) Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Season the ribs with salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste. In a large Dutch oven over medium high heat, brown the ribs in batches in olive oil, removing them to a plate when all are browned and caramelized. Now you're starting to drool, right? Turn heat down on Dutch oven to low and add 1 quart beef stock and scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.

Add the browned beef back into the pan along with the following ingredients: 3/4 C. ketsup, 1 medium onion cut into 1/4's, 3 stalks celery, 3 T. horseradish, 3 T. yellow mustard, 1 T. Worcestershire sauce, 3 bay leaves, 1/4 C. apple cider vinegar, 1 t. brown sugar.
Cover your pot and place it in your preheated oven for 5-6 hours. You won't be able to resist checking on it about 3 hours in, when the aroma grabs you by the nose and drags you into the kitchen to have a peek. Take a quick peek but then put it back in for the additional cooking time. You will absolutely not believe how tender and flavorful this meat will be if you can just hold off a couple more hours.
Now, put your knives away. You certainly won't need them for this meal. Talk about fork tender and melt in your mouth delicious!! Should you happen to have any left-overs (that was a lot of meat, you should) do not hesitate to shred it and have it on sandwiches during the week. It won't get much better than that! WINNER, WINNER, SHORT RIB DINNER!!

Please come back often to check what's for dinner here at the house. I would love your comments and suggestions on the blog and the recipes. I'm relatively new to blogging and am anxious to improve with your help.

Let's eat!
ReneƩ

No comments:

Post a Comment