Saturday, October 3, 2009

Pork Chops With Red Cabbage And Apples

This is a true "Cooking By The Seat Of My Pantry" meal. I had the basic ingredients on hand, but from there I wasn't sure what I would do with them. This is what I came up with and how it was made. I am happy to report, it was a HUGE hit with my family and received the "thumbs up" approval from all!!!



My basic ingredients were:

4 bone-in pork chops
1 medium head red cabbage
1 Granny Smith apple

From there it was any ones guess as to what I would feel like adding. This is ultimately what I came up with:
*Please note: all measurements are an approximation because I rarely measure, I just add ;)

1/2 lb. bacon
1 package onion soup mix
2 C. chicken stock
3 T. apple cider vinegar
3 C. water
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. butter
salt (to taste)
black pepper (to taste)
garlic powder (to taste)
1/4 t. allspice
1/4 t. fresh nutmeg

Cut the bacon into 1" pieces. In a large skillet, over medium high heat, cook the cut up bacon until medium crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the skillet leaving most of the bacon fat behind in the pan.

Season the pork chops on both sides with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and allspice. Brown the pork chops on both sides, in the bacon fat remaining in the skillet (I never claimed this was a figure friendly meal). When browned, remove the chops from pan and set aside.

Core and shred the red cabbage. Peel, core and slice the apple. Once again in the same skillet, add the butter and red cabbage. Sauté the cabbage over medium high heat for approximately 10 minutes. Add the apple slices, onion soup mix, chicken stock, apple cider vinegar, cooked bacon, brown sugar and 1/2 the water, making sure to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Continue to cook and combine all the ingredients until heated through and then add the nutmeg. Remove from heat.

Place the browned chops in the bottom of a large slow cooker and top with the red cabbage mixture. At this point, you may need to add more water if you feel there is not enough liquid. Your call. I did add more water. OR you might even want to use apple cider or apple juice if you have it on hand (I unfortunately, did not otherwise I certainly would have used that too). Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours.

The chops will be fall off the bone tender and the flavor is absolutely wonderful! This makes a perfect cool weather dinner. I will definitely be making this again and I'm already thinking of what different ingredients I can use. Maybe a little dry mustard would be nice? Next time perhaps :)

I hope you enjoy this recipe and will give it a try. Don't be shy about leaving your comments, I'd love to know what you think.
Well, until next time ~ Let's eat!!!
Sincerely,
Renée

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good. You should post the recipe on Allrecipes.com.

    ReplyDelete